ICE Detains Illegal Alien Linked to Horrific Crime in Illinois Suburbs
Federal immigration authorities have arrested a Mexican national, Jose Luis Mendoza-Gonzalez, after police in Waukegan, Illinois, discovered the body of 37-year-old Megan Bos in a storage container filled with bleach behind his home. This case is drawing national attention and renewed outrage over so-called “sanctuary” policies and recent bail reforms in Illinois.
According to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Mendoza-Gonzalez, 52, had already been arrested in April and charged with concealing a corpse, abuse of a corpse, and obstruction of justice. Disturbingly, Lake County Judge Randie Bruno released Mendoza-Gonzalez from custody after his initial court appearance. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents arrested him again on July 19 at a Chicago market, where he now remains in federal custody.
A Timeline of Tragedy
-
February 2025: Megan Bos, a suburban woman from Antioch, disappears, according to her family.
-
March 9, 2025: Bos is reported missing.
-
April 2025: Waukegan police find Bos’s body in Mendoza-Gonzalez’s backyard. DHS officials report the body was stored in a bleach-filled storage container for nearly two months.
-
July 2025: ICE detains Mendoza-Gonzalez after he was initially released by Judge Bruno under the provisions of the controversial SAFE-T Act.
Community Outrage and Political Fallout
The reaction from officials has been sharp. A DHS spokesperson told Fox News,
“It is absolutely repulsive this monster walked free on Illinois’ streets after allegedly committing such a heinous crime. Megan Bos and her family will have justice.”
Antioch Mayor Scott Gartner condemned the state’s criminal justice system, highlighting the suspect’s release under the SAFE-T Act.
“There’s other extenuating circumstances in this case. Not only the type of crime, how long the crime was concealed, the fact that the person that was arrested for this is not a U.S. citizen, and, you know, can maybe flee the country.”
State Representative Tom Weber also voiced his concerns, questioning whether hiding a body for over 50 days and failing to call 911 really qualifies as a “non-detainable offense.”
What Happened to Megan Bos?
Mendoza-Gonzalez told authorities that Bos had overdosed at his home. Rather than call for emergency help, he allegedly broke her phone and left her body in the basement for two days before moving it outside into the bleach-filled container, where it remained for nearly two months.
Editor’s Note:
Early media reports stated that Megan Bos had been decapitated, but the Lake County coroner has since confirmed that this was not the case.
Read More:
For full coverage and the latest updates on this story, visit the FOX 32 Chicago article here.